2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Walsh, William" <WALSHW@pepperlaw.com>
Date: 10 Jun 2006 06:48:44 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: [CPEO-BIF] [Fwd: please post on BIF and MEF]

In my 30 years of representing government and the private sector, I have
never encountered such a system to determine if vapors have traveled 1 mile
from the source. Air concentrations decrease with distance and in almost all
cases the concentrations drop dramatically within a relatively short
distance (much less than a mile).  EPA has a web site (I think that it is
called NATA) that models large sources in the US and gives maps of the
resulting concentrations.

In general, a typical monitoring system is unlikely to detect any level of
chemical within a relatively modest distance.  Once you start monitoring
offsite there are a myriad of scientific complexities associated with
distinguishing the volatile chemicals in household cleaners, dry cleaning
establishments, autos, other industrial and commercial sources.  This type
of complex system and source determination is probably beyond the capability
of most monitoring system that are used today and as was noted in the
Allegiance Resources e-mail could be very expensive.

More typically, regulators and the regulated concentration on monitoring
near or at the source and at the perimeter of the work area (which is some
distance from the source).

The worst-case monitoring that I am aware of is the monitoring at chemical
weapon sites.  These are acutely toxic chemicals that have very low action
levels or limits.  There, the monitoring is at the source and perimeter.  At
the chemical weapon sites, they use minicam and other specialized monitors
that are calculated specially for a limited number of chemicals at a given
detection limit (there is a recent National Academies of Science study on
this type of sampling).  However, I would not think that just typical
volatile or semi-volatile chemicals would require such detail or such low
detection limits.

This email is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this email without the author's prior permission.  We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message.  We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.  The information contained in this communication may be confidential and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege. If you are the intended recipient and you do not wish to receive similar electronic messages from us in future then please respond to the sender to this effect.

--- Begin Message ---
Air monitoring systems exists for your purposes.  Clearly, the issue is cost
and willingness of regulatory agency and party responsible for the
remedition to implement such a system.  Generally, I believe in a
comprehensive system of  on-site controls to prevent any migration off-site
such as active dust controls, neutralizer systems coupled with on-site
perimeter and off-site air monitors.  It is crucial that both on-site and
off-site monitors be used to confirm or deny whether the detection of
contaminants on an off-site monitor relates to an activity on-site.  The
critical question is the number of contaminants that can be monitored.  I'm
assuming that the primary concern is hazardous volatile or semi-volatile
organic contaminants.  Monitoring for each individual volatile or
semi-volatile organic contaminant can be very expensive.  You can use a
group parameter - such as total organics as a basis for assessing impacts.
This can be done via continuous, automated logging system. .

Hope this is helpful