2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 29 Jun 2006 02:02:55 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] TOSC-TAB re-organization

At EPA's National Community Involvement Conference this week, I learned that there is uncertainty about the future of the EPA-funded Technical Outreach Services for Communities (TOSC) program. In the long run the Technical Assistance for Brownfields (TAB) program, operated by the same institutions, may be affected as well. I'm not sure about all the specifics, but I'll stay tuned for more information.

TOSC was originally known as Technical Outreach for Superfund Communities. It provides technical assistance for community groups and advisory boards addressing hazardous waste contamination throughout the United States. Unlike EPA's Technical Assistance Grant program - which is limited to actual "Superfund" National Priority List sites - it does not require the communities it serves to administer its projects.

I have served, for the past few years, on the advisory board for the TOSC/TAB program serving EPA's two West Coast regions, and in my work across the country I frequently run across or even partner with the other TOSC/TAB centers. Nationally, this is a successful program.

TOSC has historically been operated by five regional and one tribal Hazardous Substance Research Centers, based at universities. With the phasing out of the research programs at those centers, EPA has indicated that it intends to re-organize the program. As far as I can tell, EPA has proposed to fund TOSC through a contract to a "HUB Zone Small Business." If it pursues this approach, the centers that currently operate the program will be forced to cut back or even shut down.

The TAB program is funded separately, and it is expected that EPA will re-compete the program when the current funding runs out. However, without TOSC funding, it's not clear that the host institutions can continue as is. That is, TOSC re-organization may force the re-organization of TAB.

I don't doubt that EPA is committed to the continuing provision of technical assistance to communities, but I'm skeptical that re-organizing the program can easily be accomplished. It's hard to imagine that any existing, genuinely small business can replicate this program, and hiring a "middleman" contractor - to subcontract to the existing centers - is likely to be slow and difficult.

I fear that communities that currently depend upon the independent advice of TOSC/TAB will left midstream without a paddle. Services will be interrupted. Even if comparable services are re-established, it's possible that assistance relationships in most customer communities will have to re-start from scratch - a process that sometimes takes years.

In dozens (or more) of communities across the country, the TOSC/TAB centers are the only source of essential technical support. I CALL UPON EPA to work with representatives of those communities, as well as the existing centers and any potential program operators, to ensure continuity.

For EPA's official descriptions of TOSC and TAB, go to http://www.epa.gov/superfund/tools/tosc/.

-- Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 http://www.cpeo.org