2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 8 Aug 2006 13:37:41 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Trenton (NJ) school demolition

School on tainted site will be torn down

BY ROSE Y. COLÓN
Trenton Times (NJ)
August 2, 2006

TRENTON -- It took them more than a year to decide how best to deal with the contaminated soil at the Martin Luther King Jr.- Jefferson School site, but state and school officials said yesterday that demolition of the partly built school will begin in two weeks.

The announcement came a week after officials of the state agency overseeing construction of the school on Brunswick Avenue said they were considering whether lifting or moving the building would be a safe way to expedite construction and cut costs.

"We felt obligated to explore other options, but we've concluded that the best way to proceed is to take the building down," said Scott Weiner, transitional head of the Schools Construction Corp.

Weiner said bids for the demolition contract will be received Tues day and that demolition work should be begin a week after that.

http://www.nj.com/news/times/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1154491592313100.xml&coll=5