2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 24 Aug 2006 00:42:14 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] TCE prevents sale of Mayville (NY) property

Mayville Manufacturer To Clean Up Underground Industrial Solvent

By PATRICK L. FANELLI
Jamestown Post-Journal (NY)
August 22, 2006

MAYVILLE - After purchasing 13 West Lake Road in Mayville, the present location of manufacturer Standard Portable, owner Julianne Baraniewicz ordered a cleanup of the site since a dangerous industrial solvent was discovered underground.

That's why she was surprised a couple years ago when the chemical was detected for a second time and she couldn't sell the property as a result.

"I didn't actually know there was a problem until I went to try and sell the property," Ms. Baraniewicz said. "It was discovered when we purchased it in 1996. There was a cleanup done shortly afterward, but it must not have been enough."

http://post-journal.com/articles.asp?articleID=5939