2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 1 Oct 2006 13:16:15 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Hopewell Borough (NJ) homeowners want buy-out

Responsible buyer wanted

BY DARRYL R. ISHERWOOD
Trenton Times (NJ)
October 1, 2006

HOPEWELL BOROUGH -- Brenda Goeke thought she had found the house of her dreams: a two-bedroom bungalow on a quiet street in desirable Hopewell Borough. Little did she know that her Somerset Street home was sitting on millions of gallons of polluted groundwater that could take decades to clean up.

Now Goeke, along with neighbors of the former Rockwell Industries plant that polluted the land, want the company to buy out their homes because they charge that the contamination has turned their slice of bucolic Mercer County into a worthless investment that no one will want to buy -- at least not for years to come.

"The bottom line is, the reason I can't sell my house is the contamination," said Goeke, whose home will sit next door to the soon-to-be built toxic groundwater filtration plant. She said she has been trying to sell her home at 29 Somerset St. for nearly six months. "It's worthless on the market. How could it not be with all that has gone on."

http://www.nj.com/news/times/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1159675662118060.xml&coll=5&thispage=1