2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 30 Apr 2007 06:36:29 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Seminole County, Florida schools

Safe school sites? Only time will tell
Our position: Parents are sure to wonder whether arsenic-tainted sites put kids at risk.

OPINION
Orlando Sentinel (FL)
April 29, 2007

Maybe Seminole County School Board member Jeanne Morris would support the district adopting as its motto, "What we don't know won't hurt."

She wants the district to stop asking so many nagging questions about pollution on school sites, going beyond the testing required by law. It turns off potential sellers, and it gets folks all worked up for no good reason, she said.

Oh, sure, the extra testing discovered pollutants the district otherwise wouldn't have known existed, but that information didn't stop officials from agreeing build a school there. So what's the point?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/orl-sopin2907apr29,0,7543594.story?coll=orl-opinion-headlines