2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Joe Schilling" <jms33@vt.edu>
Date: 3 Jul 2007 13:40:59 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Our collective soft spots.....area wide BFs regeneration

Well...Peter, my apologies for hitting you in your soft spot, but it's good
to know that several of us share the same Achilles heel.

And I do agree with Lenny that it would be great if a state (as I don't
think it will start with EPA) was willing to start by establishing some
simple policy criteria for allocating their Brownfields $$ to give a higher
score to those projects with greater community impact. Those with a higher
score would get a better deal.  Perhaps a certain % of state incentives
could be allocated to such projects that serve more community/neighborhood
redevelopment goals.  I know some private developers might shudder at the
thought, but it's essentially no different, and probably less intrusive than
many local impact fees.  The trick is to make the processes as simple and
painless as possible.

JMS