2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: LSchnapf@aol.com
Date: 19 Jul 2007 06:39:47 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Re: Brownfields Digest, Vol 35, Issue 13

As a followup to Ken Kamlet's letter to the editor, the statistics publicized by the article fail to mention the benefits from the brownfield program. There is no estimation of the jobs created or taxes generated by the BCP projects.

The data only presents one side of the story..and several of the attorneys I know who were queried as part of the study by the Environmental Business Association brownfield task force that I chair indicate that the estimates produced by the Division of Budget are inaccurate for a number of sites by either overestimating the tax credits or underestimating the cleanup costs. As one attorney told me, if the state numbers are right about the tax credit his client got, then he did not bill his client enough in legal fees. )

I would like to know if there are metrics that are used by government or academics that predict the number of jobs and taxes generated by redevelopment projects. This information is missing from the data generated by the state and thus does not tell the whole picture about BCP.

Larry

Lawrence P. Schnapf, Esq.
55 E.87th Street #8B
New York, NY 10128