2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 22 Jul 2007 06:33:48 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [Fwd: RE: [CPEO-BIF] Brownfield Subsidies]

Ignacio wrote a few replies to my earlier query. With his permission, I am sending one of them out to the list. I think it's useful to our current discussion. He warns, however, that this is a simplified, incomplete response and reminds us that the New York state tax credit is totally different that tax increment financing.

Lenny

Date: 	Sat, 21 Jul 2007
From: 	Ignacio Dayrit <idayrit@ci.emeryville.ca.us>

Fiscal impact analysis is routinely done in large development agreement
projects in CA.  The impacts of the project are estimated based on the
employment, traffic, other environmental impacts, cost of public
services (est. of police, fire, school, recreation, parks, water, power,
etc.).  These can be costed out - cities have their own formulas.

This is calculated against the benefits - taxes (business, property),
fees, cash contributions (yes, many developments give subsidies but yet,
give contribitions as well) and any multiplier effects.  Then, of
course, less the subsidies. The flow of subsidy (all cash vs. over time)
may have an impact.

You can calculate the difference in financial impact of the TIF area by
simply comparing the tax distribution within and outside the TIF.  I.e.,
the TIF may distribute taxes by 50% TIF agency, 25% city, 10% school,
10% transit district, 5% community college, vs the non-TIF area would
have distributed 35% city, 20% school, 15% transit, 10% comm college, 5%
park district, xx% other special tax districts).  Housing funds are
typically included in the city or TIF agency pots.

The kind of consultants that do this in CA include Keyser Marston,
Economics Research Associates, Rosenow Spevacek, Applied Development
Economics, Hausrath Associtaes, etc.

My own 2 cents is that if a city wants to throw $ into any deal, call it
what it is.  Calling all of those subsidies a "brownfields tax credit"
give brownfields subsidies a bad name.  Portions of these are job
creation, infrastructure, housing AND environmental subsidies.  I figure
it would have created too much political opposition if the subsidy was
called too many things.

Take care.