2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 21 Aug 2007 05:37:55 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] New York City school leasing

BATTLING OVER WHERE
TO BUILD NEW SCHOOLS

Some parents and activists differ with the city about how to determine that leased land is nontoxic enough for public school use.

By Shreema Mehta
City Limits WEEKLY (NY)
August 20, 2007

When Kate Acton's daughter developed respiratory problems within three months of beginning second grade at P.S. 65 in Queens, Acton could not figure out how it started.

"But then she said, 'Whenever I'm in the school, 20 minutes or a half hour afterward I start feeling nauseous and have a hard time breathing.' I didn't think of the school" at first, said the mother of two, "but there's a lot of parents and children that are going through the same symptoms." Acton began protesting the school facilities after her daughter's doctor diagnosed asthma and suggested looking at the school for a possible cause. Though her daughter transferred out of the school in 2002, Acton remains vocal about school safety concerns, staying in touch with parents of children currently enrolled in the school.

Acton, along with other parents and community organizations, alleges that the school, which opened in 1996, was built on land contaminated with trichloroethylene (TCE) because of the site's previous use as an airplane parts factory.

http://www.citylimits.org/content/articles/viewarticle.cfm?article_id=3391&content_type=1&media_type=3