2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 17 Oct 2007 22:40:11 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Information Technology High School (NY)

A Summary of Environmental Concerns Regarding Contamination at Information Technology High School (Q502)

21-16 44 Road, Long Island City
Queens, New York 11101

Peter M. Strauss
Peter M. Strauss & Associates

On Behalf of
New York Lawyers for the Public Interest

October 15, 2007

INTRODUCTION

[For the entire eight-page, 180K PDF version this report, go to http://www.cpeo.org/pubs/InfoTech.pdf]

On September 17, Fox 5 News ran a story about increased levels of contamination found beneath the Information Technology High School ("Info Tech") in Queens, New York. The report raised concerns about the school's safety, noting that Info Tech is housed within a former metal plating factory leased by the Department of Education in 2003 for use as an educational facility. This summary seeks to inform the affected school community about environmental concerns at conditions at Info Tech, and we offer recommendations for improving community understanding and oversight not only at Info Tech, but in the surrounding area and at other toxic school sites in New York City.

Lenny Siegel, of the Center for Public Environmental Oversight, and Peter Strauss of Peter M. Strauss & Associates have provided New York Lawyers for the Public Interest (NYLPI) and their community clients with environmental consultation around the siting of schools on contaminated properties in the past. We were asked by NYLPI Staff Attorney David Palmer to provide a brief analysis of our concerns at the site, including commentary on the two air quality reports detailing the results of testing conducted inside Info Tech on September 5 and September 22-25, 2007. We have also reviewed documents provided to Mr. Palmer by Fox 5 reporter Mary Garofalo and used in her report. These documents include quarterly monitoring reports retrieved from the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) through a Freedom of Information Law request. Finally, we have discussed the site with the DEC project manager.

This analysis has been created on a pro bono basis for NYLPI out of our concern for the health of the building's current and future occupants. We hope to aid NYLPI in its work with the community to ensure the safety and integrity of this school site, and in pushing for larger policy changes that would create more opportunities for meaningful community participation in the school siting process. However, we did not conduct a full-scale review of the remedial action work plan and all other associated documents.

Still, we do feel comfortable assuring the Info Tech community that the site is indeed safe, or at least as safe as any other building in this traditionally industrial area. The state-approved remediation has been designed to protect school occupants from vapor intrusion, (the migration of volatile organic compounds from the subsurface). Nevertheless, we believe that steps should be taken to better inform the community and involve it in future activities, including long-term monitoring and site-management designed to prevent toxic exposures at and near the school. The "Concerns and Recommendations" section begins on page 6.