2008 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 06:05:03 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] St. Croix Prep, Minnesota

[Activists in the Stillwater/Bayport area tell me that this site is over the leading edge of a TCE plume, but no soil gas testing has been conducted and standard vapor intrusion mitigation has not been designed into the campus. - LS]

St. Croix Prep school site is safe and fully vetted

Opinion by Jon Gutierrez
Pioneer Press (MN)
November 20, 2008

On Nov. 12, the Pioneer Press published an article that led the reader to believe St. Croix Preparatory Academy's new school was being built on a contaminated land site and that the school had circumvented public processes related to its site approval. Both conclusions are false. In addition, the outstanding academic record of St. Croix Preparatory Academy students was ignored. The hard work of our students, families and staff deserves a more balanced and accurate account.

St. Croix Preparatory Academy opened in 2004 with 200 students in grades K-7. We now have 720 students in grades K-11. Our success is due to many factors, but chief among them are our mission-driven emphasis upon academics, character and leadership, our focus on classical education and our business approach to operational execution, academic/fiscal/professional accountability and human capital management strategies. Since its inception, the School's MCA proficiency scores for reading and math have been between 81 percent and 93 percent, making St. Croix Prep one of the highest performing schools in the state.

The school site approval process was comprehensive and thorough. Governing authorities involved in the approval of this project included Baytown Township, the city of Bayport, Washington County and the Met Council. Public hearing opportunities were available for citizen participation. Finally, bond issuance required the school to endure an exhaustive due diligence process performed by an

For the entire column, see
http://www.twincities.com/opinion/ci_11034837?nclick_check=1