2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 08:55:49 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Milford Cleaning Village, Milford, Connecticut

Groundwater contamination found in Milford
After a common dry cleaning solvent was found in the ground, wells are being drilled to determine how far it spread

By Frank Juliano
Connecticut Post
June 4, 2009

MILFORD -- Three test wells dug Wednesday at the Robert Treat Apartments will determine the extent of groundwater contamination from a long-closed dry cleaner.

Milford Cleaning Village operated at 987-995 Bridgeport Ave. for decades before closing in 2004. The apartment complex is directly behind the shuttered business.

"I've lived here 35 years and they were open went I got here," said Herb Batterson, a resident of the 124-unit complex.

Test wells on the dry cleaner's property and at the Treat Apartments have found elevated levels of a common dry-cleaning solvent, said Dennis Schain, a spokesman for the state Department of Environmental Protection.

http://www.connpost.com/ci_12511355