2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:46:02 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Sponge Park" for Gowanus Canal, Brooklyn, New York

Nydia: The Gowanus is 'Sponge' worthy!

By Mike McLaughlin
The Brooklyn Paper (NY)
June 29, 2009

The proposed Sponge Park along the banks of the fetid Gowanus Canal is finally living up to its name in one way: it's soaking up federal money.

A pilot version of the park, whose name actually refers to how it will employ vegetation that would retain water and prevent sewer overflows on rainy days, could sprout thanks to a cool $300,000 earmark sponsored by Rep. Nydia Velazquez (D-Carroll Gardens).

"It would be a great amenity for the city," said Susannah Drake, an architect. The Sponge Park is the brainchild of her design firm, dlandstudio, and the Gowanus Canal Conservancy. "The water is dirty and we have to start cleaning it up incrementally. We could use the Sponge Park to get the ball rolling."

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/32/26/32_26_mm_sponge_park.html