2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:14:47 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Connecticut Brownfields

Redeveloping brownfield sites a complicated process
Remediation can take years to complete

By Bill Cummings
Connecticut Post
August 16, 2009

BRIDGEPORT -- Michael Hawie readily admits his relatives polluted the North Washington Avenue factory his family has owned for four generations.

But because of that practice, Hawie is now classified by state officials as an "original polluter." That means he cannot tap into millions of dollars in state and federal money that's available to clean up and redevelop old industrial sites like Hawie Manufacturing, which still produces wire, metal and marine devices such as gaff hooks.

"We have been here since 1907," Hawie explained. "We have some derelict buildings we can't afford to take down because they want a full cleanup and it's too expensive. We have had a number of people who wanted to make a yard here. But we can't get any cleanup money."

The Hawie factory is just one example of how difficult it is for cities in Connecticut and across the nation to redevelop brownfield sites and return old factories to job creating and tax-generating uses.

http://www.connpost.com/ci_13131857