2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Paul Nathanail <Paul@lqm.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 14:50:12 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] [Fwd: green remediation]

Dear all,

Does green include bioremediation?

Well - it all depends!

In situ bioremediation can be said to be intrinsically green as it uses relatively (relative to what though?) little energy.

But ex situ bioremediation follows on from the energy intensive step of digging and hauling the material to be bioremediated to wherever the windrow, biopile or whatever is going to be constructed.

Of course no remediation can be said to be green, smart or sustainable if it is not demonstrably achieving risk reduction or in certain legal contexts contaminant destruction or recovery.

Kind regards

Paul Nathanail
University of Nottingham, UK

PS I will be at the Brownfield conference in New Orleans with a group of masters students if anyone would like to continue the conversation face to face

PPS Lenny - great forum! I don't know how you find the time!