2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: mallacci@optonline.net
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:46:17 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Public disclosure and involvement, state by state

Several years ago Exxon-Mobile contaminated an old gas station here in NJ and the soil and acquifer underlying homes of the surrounding neighborhood when UST's were ruptured during removal.  Neighbors reported illnesses and had complained about the smell and called the gas company but no leak had been found.  It wasn't until the gas station wanted to re-open as a larger, 24 hr station that neighbors in opposing the increased use learned about the contamination.  The corp had notified the local emergency management office and the state, but not one of the neighbors impacted by the contamination were alerted.  The neighbors were understandably furious, felt deceived, and banded together for a lawsuit against the corp.

MaryAnn Sorenen Allacci, PhD
Projects for Environmental Health, Knowledge, & Action, Inc.
732-364-4198