2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 14:23:41 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Humboldt Mine, Michigan

Humboldt site has support
Some still have concerns

By Jeni Jewell
WEYI NBC 25 (Mid-Michigan)
December 2, 2009

ISHPEMING TOWNSHIP -- While it still concerns some, a good number of the people who attended the DEQ public hearing Tuesday night, supported Kennecott Eagle Mineral Company's plan to turn the Humboldt Mine into a milling site.

"The state, current economic times; we don't have the money in Humboldt Township, (to clean it up) and neither does the state," said Humboldt Township Supervisor, Joe Derocha. "We've got a 40-acre Brownfield site. We've got a company coming in to clean it up. We welcome that."

Most people who spoke at the hearing supported the mill, but a few had concerns. One man said the mine will taint the water in Humboldt Township.

http://www.connectmidmichigan.com/news/story.aspx?id=384561