2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 08:57:47 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Seal Beach, California gasoline station vapor intrusion

Residents say gas station is a bad neighbor

By JAIMEE LYNN FLETCHER
Orange County Register (CA)
December 17, 2009

SEAL BEACH - Arco officials say they are making strides to clean up an old gas leak that has contaminated the soil in a nearby neighborhood, but neighbors say they want the station shut down.

More than 80 residents attended a community meeting Wednesday night at the Mary Wilson Library for an update on the cleanup of contaminated soil vapor at the gas station on Pacific Coast Highway and 5th Street.

"There's a puddle of oil affecting our home values and our health – Arco, you're a bad neighbor," resident Robert Goldberg said. "Close the station. This place is a public hazard and a public nuisance."

http://www.ocregister.com/news/residents-224672-station-officials.html