2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:26:20 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Carousel housing tract, Carson, California

A Carson neighborhood's future is on hold

By Gene Maddaus
Torrance Daily Breeze
December 20, 2009

Chris Gutierrez, 43, stands in front of his home of 33 years on Marbella Ave. in Carson. The home is in the Carousel tract that was built on the site of oil tank farm. (Robert Casillas Staff Photographer) About a year ago, Elizabeth Noriega's son started having migraines. She took him to the doctor, who referred him to a neurologist. His blood was drawn, but the results were inconclusive.

Then, in August, she discovered that her home was built on top of an oil tank farm. She also learned that the soil underneath the Carousel tract in Carson is contaminated with high levels of methane and benzene. She wondered: Could there be a connection?

"I have no clue if this is related to that," she said. "The doctor asked me to move him out for a month to see what it does to his migraines."

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_14037397