2010 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 15:21:22 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] The Critique Is Weak at the CTS Site in Skyland, North Carolina

The Critique Is Weak
At the CTS Site in Skyland, North Carolina

June 2010

For two decades the neighbors of the CTS Asheville site on Mills Gap Road in Skyland, North Carolina have been asking state and federal environmental agencies to identify the full extent of trichloroethylene (TCE) contamination there and get it cleaned up. Community members continue to fight for cleanup, but North Carolina's Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) has done little, and Region 4 of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) shows continuing reluctance to list the site on the "Superfund" National Priorities List. I was heartened, therefore, to read in late May, 2010, that the EPA Office of Inspector General (OIG) had published a report critical of agency activities at Mills Gap Road. However, when I read the OIG report, I was disappointed to learn that no one from the OIG ever interviewed the activists who have devoted an enormous amount of time to documenting contamination and possible health impacts at the Skyland site and that EPA Region 4 is using an air Removal Action Level for TCE two orders of magnitude less protective than other EPA regions.

To download my critique of the OIG critique, go to http://cpeo.org/pubs/CTSCritique.pdf.