2010 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 22:02:03 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Conference of Mayors issues new Brownfields study

Report Points to Brownfield Redevelopment as Source of City Revenues

A new report highlights the potential contribution that redeveloping brownfields can make to city revenues.

Environmental Protection
December 8, 2010

A new report by the U.S. Conference of Mayors (USCM) highlights the potential contribution that redeveloping brownfields can make to city revenues.

According to the study, 54 cities reported that 161,880 new jobs were created through the redevelopment of 2,118 sites with 64,730 jobs in the pre-development / remediation stage and 97,150 permanent jobs.

"Cleaning up and recycling land back into productive use while saving pristine greenfields must be seen as a priority for the nation. A good portion of our most valuable farmland is located in or around cities. Unfortunately, much of that farmland and other wilderness areas have been lost to development. Redeveloping brownfields can play a key role in easing development pressures, promoting sustainability, and preserving our ability to feed our nation and the world," commented Ashley Swearengin, mayor of Fresno, Calif., and the chairwoman of the USCM Environmental Committee.

http://eponline.com/articles/2010/12/08/report-points-to-brownfield-redevelopment-as-source-of-city-revenues.aspx

To download the report, go to
http://www.usmayors.org/pressreleases/uploads/November2010BFreport.pdf