2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:09:42 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] North End site, Niagara Falls, New York

A plan for Highland brownfield site - then action

By Mark Scheer
Niagara Gazette
March 22, 2011
NIAGARA FALLS - The first in a series of planned public meetings about the future of a high-profile North End brownfield site generated some debate about whether the process would ever lead to tangible benefits for the community.

During a meeting Tuesday at the Doris Jones Family Resource Building, consultants working on a plan to redevelop the so-called Tract II parcel off Highland Avenue encouraged residents to stay focused on what could happen if the right partners are found to resurrect land that has been off limits to the community for decades.

"Why shouldn't we prepare ourselves for opportunity?" said James Pitts, head of J.W. Pitts Planning and Development, LLC, one of the consultants involved in the Tract II planning process. "We don't want to just lay down and die. I don't. We want to present the best plan. We want to develop a planning process that has the interests of the community in mind."

http://niagara-gazette.com/local/x977558462/A-plan-for-Highland- brownfield-site-then-action