2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 12:55:41 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Kipp Corporation vapor intrusion, Madison, Wisconsin

Madison Neighborhood Concerned Over Possible Carcinogen In Soil
Kipp Corporation's Manufacturing Plant Blamed

Channel3000.com
May 5, 2011

MADISON, Wis. -- A group of Madison families on the near East Side is fearful about the foundations of their homes after a possible a carcinogen was found in the soil underneath.

"If it's floating underneath my house and coming up into my basement with my 8- and 4-year-old child, that's a concern," said Berge.

State officials informed Berge and his neighbors that a potential carcinogen is making its way from nearby Madison Kipp Corporation's manufacturing plant into the ground in the neighborhood.

"And the issue we're dealing with here is that the PCE, or the tetrachlorethylene, contamination in the soil is also in the soil vapor," said Mike Schmoller, DNR hydro-geologist. "It's moving from the Kipp property through the back yards of some of the homes on South Marquette Street."

http://www.channel3000.com/news/27785290/detail.html

278-A Hope Street, Mountain View, CA 94041
Voice: 650-961-8918 or 650-969-1545
Fax: 650-961-8918