2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:34:30 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Letter defending New Jersey's program

Public funds needed to remove contamination, reduce blight in N.J.

Letter to the Editor by Marc Selover
Newark Star-Ledger (NJ)
August 23, 2011

The July 31 article concerning the Department of Environmental Protection's remedial grant program included statements I made during an interview at a Brownfield property in Mount Holly. I disagree with implications included in the article ("Brownfields fund’s in red and state’s in the dark").

The article perpetuated the myth that the public has been paying for remediation that could be paid for by polluters. As I explained during the interview, there have not been any viable polluters on the grant sites that I have worked on.

For the entire letter, see
http://blog.nj.com/ledgerletters/2011/08/ public_funds_needed_to_remove.html