2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 15:53:25 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] South Gate, California TCE industrial sites

News Release
U.S. EPA Region 9
September 15, 2011

U.S. EPA Proposes to Add LA County Industrial Facilities to List of Nationâs Worst Toxic Sites / Seam Master Industries and Jervis B. Webb Co. - both in South Gate

SAN FRANCISCO - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is proposing to add two new sites to the Superfund National Priorities List in Los Angeles County, Calif. The Seam Master Industries site and the Jervis B. Webb Co. site are both located in South Gate, Calif. Volatile organic compounds, including elevated levels of trichloroethylene (TCE), commonly used as a solvent for cleaning metal parts, have been confirmed in the soils and groundwater at these sites.

Superfund is the federal program that investigates and cleans up the most complex, uncontrolled or abandoned hazardous waste sites in the country. Listing these sites on the NPL means that EPA can investigate and clean up the sites using federal funding.

"These industrial plants are located in I-710 corridor, an area that is a high priority for EPA," said Jared Blumenfeld, EPA's Regional Administrator for the Pacific Southwest. "We are proposing to add the sites to the NPL so we can proceed with investigating and cleaning them, while holding the polluters financially responsible."

For the entire release, see
http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/ 0/9a33a2101fcfc1428525790c00652d83?OpenDocument

278-A Hope Street, Mountain View, CA 94041
Voice: 650-961-8918 or 650-969-1545
Fax: 650-961-8918