2012 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: John Rosenthall <ejconference@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 18:01:17 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Environmental Justice Series

Good day.  Following is the link to the third article in the environmental justice series written by E. Timpf of the Washington Times:

Also attached (below) is John Rosenthall's response to the writer.

Regards,
EJ Conference, Inc.

Ms Timpf,

I have read your two articles, "Environmental Justice: A New Movement to Restrict Your Movement" and "Sometimes Environmental Justice is Neither" and have the following comments. The first two paragraphs of the first article are striking from historical and intent purposes. I have repeated them below.  You wrote:

But a nearly unknown executive order could have a greater impact on the future of America than all of those things combined, potentially giving the federal government power to control every project in the country.

The obscure memorandum of understanding, based on a long-forgotten executive order signed by President Clinton in 1994, marries the issues of environmentalism and social justice. The federal government can use the laws from one to control the other.

As you know, Executive Order 12898 has been active in the public domain for nearly two decades. The intent of the Executive Order is to give minority, low-income and tribal communities the tools and resources to participate in environmental decision-making that could impact their communities, lives, children and future. It gives a voice to those who have been historically and systemically precluded from participating in the discussions and decisions that impacted their health, community and well being. The Executive Order gives the power to the people who lacked participation, rather than to the Federal government. It is simply a form of environmental democracy.

I found your reference to the Executive Order as obscure and long-forgotten rather striking.

Rather than a discussion of your thoughts, purpose and views, I am writing out of a particular concern that a prominent member of the Federal Environmental Justice Community was miss-quoted in the article. In the first article in the series, you quoted Ms Kim Lambert as saying "Because there's no resources for most federal agencies, you've got to go to someone who has money," Lambert told conferees. "I've got to beg for their resources, I've got to show there's a nexus between environmental justice and the community." This statement is incorrect. Since the inception of the Executive Order, Ms Lambert, Fish and Wildlife and the Department of Interior have been enthusiastic supporters of environmental justice. I would appreciate if you would write a retraction of this misstatement and contact Ms Lambert for a complete discussion of her statements and intent.

Please know that we appreciate your coverage of the 6th Annual State of Environmental Justice in America Conference in Crystal City in April. I regret that I did not get a chance to meet you to discuss the conference or any other matters. Neither I nor any of the conference staff was aware of your presence, intent to report on the conference activities or plans to write a series on environmental justice. I wish that was not the case. Had I known that you were in attendance, or intended to write a series on Environmental Justice, I would have suggested, and indeed arranged for you to interview community, academic, government, industry or other representatives to include their thoughts and views in your series. That offer still stands.

I certainly suggest, and request that you include an article, or several articles in your series, that consider the benefits of Executive Order 12898. There are numerous examples in the Federal agencies and throughout America that you can cite, and numerous environmental justice advocates and leaders around the country who can contribute to a fair and balanced series. In addition, should you care to learn more about environmental justice, and meet some of the people who have been fighting for this type democracy for decades, please plan to attend the 7th Annual State of Environmental Justice in America Conference next spring.

In any case, please contact Ms Lambert to get her presentation correct. She can be reached at the Fish and Wildlife Agency in the Department of Interior, or I would be pleased to provide you with her contact information.

Thanks for your consideration.
John Rosenthall
State Of Environmental Justice in America Conference Coordinator