2012 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 09:27:39 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Missouri to audit Brownfield Remediation Tax Credit program

Schweich pledges audit of Brownfields program

BY TIM LOGAN
St. Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)
August 1, 2012

Missouri's Brownfield Remediation Tax Credit program is long overdue for a closer look, the state auditor said Wednesday, in the wake of a Post-Dispatch investigation that uncovered cost overruns and weak oversight on the cleanup of the former Carondelet Coke site in south St. Louis.

The auditor's office has not reviewed the brownfields program - which funds cleanup of polluted sites - since 2002, shortly after its creation, when Claire McCaskill was auditor. Current auditor Tom Schweich said he wants to audit it in his first term, but couldn't say exactly when because of a tight office budget.

"It is my plan to audit it during my term," he said. "That's all I'll say."

The Post-Dispatch investigation found that the cost to taxpayers for Carondelet Coke nearly doubled, to $12.3 million, when more pollution was found at the former coal gasification site. Schweich compared the project to ones he saw in a recent audit of the Missouri Quality Jobs tax credit, which, like brownfields, is also run by the state's Department of Economic Development.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/columns/building-blocks/schweich- pledges-audit-of-brownfields-program-but-can-t-say/article_ddeddb64- dbf3-11e1-8029-001a4bcf6878.html