2012 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 07:44:11 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Edisto Court neighborhood, Columbia, South Carolina

Edisto Court neighborhood cleansed of pollution, officials sayNearby commercial land to be cleaned up to prevent further contamination

By Sammy Fretwell
The State (SC)
December 21, 2012

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has finished cleaning up toxic pollution in a Columbia neighborhood that for generations knew nothing of the lead and arsenic contamination threatening people’s health.

Now, with the public health threat eliminated from neighborhood yards, state regulators will oversee the cleanup of nearby commercial and industrial property to ensure no more contamination trickles into the Edisto Court community, state and city officials said.

After a community meeting Thursday, city councilman Moe Baddourah said cleanup at one site closest to the neighborhood will occur in the next 90 days. The property is adjacent to the TVK mini-warehouses.

"We are in discussions with the folks at TVK to make sure we get an equivalent level of cleanup," said Ken Taylor, an official with the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control. "We also will be working with other commercial properties."

http://www.thestate.com/2012/12/21/2563934/edisto-court-neighborhood- cleansed.html