2013 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 17:38:34 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] EPA Issues Draft Groundwater Remedy Completion Strategy for comment by December 20, 2013

On October 29, 2013 U.S. EPA's Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response announced that it "is seeking input on a draft Groundwater Remedy Completion Strategy. The draft document provides a recommended strategy to help site teams focus resources on the information and decisions needed to effectively complete groundwater remedies. Groundwater remediation can take decades to achieve and is a component of most Superfund cleanup actions...."

It explains, "The draft Strategy describes a recommended step-wise plan and decision-making process for evaluating remedy operation, progress and attainment of remedial action objectives (RAOs) using an updated conceptual site model, performance metrics and site-specific data. We have designed the completion strategy to help the site team focus resources on the information and decisions needed to effectively move a site to completion and ensure protection of human health and the environment. Generally we believe that consideration of such a strategy may be appropriate throughout the cleanup process, and should help focus resources on evaluating the selected cleanup, its operation and progress toward attaining the RAOs and associated cleanup levels in a reasonable timeframe.

"The completion strategy includes example remedy evaluation questions and provides some criteria to consider during remedy decisions However, it does not provide policy direction for those decisions. The strategy also does not alter the Agency approach for setting remedial objectives or cleanup levels. In addition, the recommended strategy does not vhnage existing Superfund statutes, regulations, guidance or policy. The guidances does not address state of tribal groundwater classifications or use designations."

To see the original, complete cover-letter announcement go to
http://www.cpeo.org/pubs/ DraftGroundwaterRemedyCompletionStrategyCoverLetter10-29-13.pdf

To download the 22-page draft Strategy, go to
http://www.cpeo.org/pubs/GroundwaterRemedyCompletionStrategyDRAFT.pdf

If I find links on EPA's website, I will provide those as well.

Lenny