2013 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 13:57:02 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Haworth property, Douglas, Michigan

As Haworth factory winds down, Douglas revs up its plans for the future

By Jim.Hayden
Holland Sentinel (MI)
December 8. 2013

The for sale signs in front of the city's biggest taxpayer don't worry the Douglas director of community development. Ryan Kilpatrick is busy looking to the future of the more than 7-acre Haworth property and its adjoining land along Blue Star Highway in the small lakeshore community.

"We want to plan for that entire area," Kilpatrick said. "We want to put together a long-term plan that puts together the development of the area." Community members will have at least two chances to offer their opinions on the future of the site.

Groundwater at the site was contaminated with the solvent trichloroethylene before Haworth leased the property in 1976. Haworth bought the facility in 1980. The state Department of Environmental Quality installed about a dozen wells on the site to monitor the toxin, according to Kilpatrick.

http://www.hollandsentinel.com/article/20131208/NEWS/131209441/1994/ NEWS#NEWS/?tag=2