2013 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:15:49 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Brownfield development revives hope for Hazelwood, " Pennsylvania

Brownfield development revives hope for Hazelwood

by Tom Fontaine
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)
December 8, 2013

Hazelwood leaders don't want the neighborhood to find itself on the wrong side of the railroad tracks separating it from the former LTV Steel Co. site along the Monongahela River.

If a $1 billion investment goes as planned, the sprawling brownfield site would become home to offices, housing, retailers and light industry.

As large machines prepare the 178 acres for development, groups such as the city's Urban Redevelopment Authority, Hazelwood Initiative and ACTION-Housing Inc. are working to prepare the distressed neighborhood for growth.

"We don't want people to just stay on the LTV site. We want them to get into the neighborhood," said Councilman Corey O'Connor, who represents Hazelwood, where LTV had the city's last operating steel mill.

http://triblive.com/news/editorspicks/5167942-74/hazelwood- neighborhood-development#axzz2n979jmet