2014 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 10:14:30 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Saginaw-Chippewa "Tribe applying for Brownfield money to clean up Stop & Go Property"

Tribe applying for Brownfield money to clean up Stop & Go Property
The Saginaw-Chippewa Indian Tribe hopes to receive some assistance from the EPA in cleaning up the former Stop & Go property.

by Tim Barnum
Arenac Independent (MI)
January 13, 2014

STANDISH TWP. - The Saginaw-Chippewa Indian Tribe is applying for Brownfield Redevelopment funds for environmental cleanup activities and possible demolition at the Stop & Go property in Standish Township.

Representatives from the tribe held a public meeting at the Saganing Tribal Center Jan. 7 to discuss the grant application process. A copy of the public meeting notice says the grant could provide the tribe up to $200,000 for environmental cleanup if it was approved for the grant.

Frank Cloutier, public relations manager for the tribe, said the property is an old gas station, and because of that there could be hazardous materials at the site. Cloutier said the tribe has sought Brownfield monies for the property from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in the past.

"There's petroleum byproducts that may have been left," he said. "There are a couple of monitoring wells that have to be dealt with. We're just looking with some help to get that mitigated if we can. We've applied for this before. There were some time limitations that were a problem."

http://www.arenacindependent.com/stories/Tribe-applying-for- Brownfield-money-to-clean-up-Stop-Go-Property,98617