2014 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 10:07:03 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Williamstown [Massachusetts] launches push to turn brownfields into affordable housing"

Williamstown launches push to turn brownfields into affordable housing

By Jenn Smith
Berkshire Eagle (MA)
January 14, 2014

WILLIAMSTOWN -- Efforts to address a need for affordable housing in the community have just taken a big step forward.

The Williamstown Board of Selectmen on Monday night unanimously ap proved a motion to issue requests for proposals for affordable housing and mixed-use development at two town-owned brownfield sites.

"We're grateful to the Selectmen for their support, and we're thrilled to be on the threshold of issuing RFPs," said Cathy Yamamoto, chairwoman of the Williamstown Affordable Housing Com mittee. "We're open to creative thinking on behalf of the developers. Any development on these sites is part of the solution."

Developing the properties -- a former town garage site at 59 Water St. and the 4.8-acre former Photech Mill site at 233 Cole Ave. -- has been a priority for the committee, which released a Housing Needs Assessment last February.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/news/ci_24908746/williamstown-launches- push-turn-brownfields-into-affordable-housing