2014 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 18:20:44 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Trowbridge Plaza, East Lansing, Michigan

'Red Cedar Village' fears
Early skepticism from East Lansing City Council members on proposed housing at Trowbridge Village Lifestyle Center

by Andy Balaskovitz
Lansing City Pulse (MI)
January 15,2014

A student ghetto. Burning couches. A loss of commercial enterprise.
It's a housing image the city of East Lansing has struggled with for years, and one City Councilwoman Ruth Beier hopes to avoid at Trowbridge Plaza. She fears a major redevelopment project there will devolve into a "Red Cedar Village."

Beier believes the site is dated and needs to be redeveloped. However, she also said she is opposed to any tax incentives that suggest the site is blighted or contaminated, such as a brownfield credit.

Planning and Zoning Administrator Darcy Schmitt confirmed that McGraw is seeking brownfield assistance to clean up the site. Approval for that is separate from the various special-use permits being considered by the East Lansing Planning Commission. Only the City Council votes on the tax abatements, she said.

"I don't think you can make the case" for a brownfield, Beier said. "From what I have read so far, there is no contamination there. And I don't know if it qualifies as blighted. Unless I find some reason to change my mind, I wouldn't support a brownfield credit or any kind of develop ment credit. I don't think the city needs to subsidize it."

http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/lansing/article-9741-lsred-cedar- villagers-fears.html