2014 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 16:45:04 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] TCE Vapors at CTS Asheville

Residents go Head-to-Head with EPA

By Kimberly King
Residents who live around the former CTS plant gathered at the Quality Inn on Long Shoals Road Monday evening, for a question and answer forum organized by EPA officials from Atlanta.

Three area homes have been temporarily evacuated after tests came back that warranted concern.

"If we had an indication that the larger population was at risk we would identify them as soon as possible," said Franklin Hill, EPA Superfund Regional Director for the area. But Hill went on to say he doesn't know if risks are on a larger scale. He said additional testing done around seven more homes this week will give EPA investigators more data to work with, in deciding if they need to widen the scale of air and water testing in area subdivision around the site.

Hill originally wanted the meeting at the hotel to be a one-on-one for homeowners talking with EPA officials. "The occupancy is only about 70, so we're going to let 30 in at a time," said an EPA liaison addressing the crowd of homeowners waiting in the motel lobby.

For the entire story, see
http://www.wlos.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories/wlos_residents-go-headtohead-epa-16701.shtml

See also
http://www.wlos.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories/wlos_epa-holds-cts-meeting-16698.shtml