2014 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 20:55:49 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Long Island Newsday: "Fix New York's brownfields laws"

Fix New York's brownfields laws

by THE EDITORIAL BOARD
Long Island Newsday (NY)
June 24, 2014

New York is pockmarked with contaminated land. Long Island is no exception. What sets us apart from other parts of the state is our relative lack of success in cleansing these sites.

And the consequences of failure are worse here, because our toxic sites sit on top of the water we drink -- our aquifer.

That's why it's so disappointing that efforts to reform the much- criticized state brownfield cleanup program have failed -- at least for now. The State Legislature last week passed a 15-month extension of the program, now due to expire in 2015. Supporters say developers need to know tax credits will be available before they enter the program; credits are earned when cleanups are finished and the 2015 deadline is too tight for many projects. But many credits have gone to projects, like luxury hotels and malls, that had more to do with economic development than cleaning toxic sites. Extension without reform just perpetuates the problem.

For the entire editorial, see
http://www.newsday.com/opinion/editorial-fix-new-york-s-brownfields- laws-1.8555339