2015 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 08:54:24 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Fort Smith [Arkansas] Leaders Question Whirlpool Cleanup Efforts"

[Not the discussion of property values. - LS]

Fort Smith Leaders Question Whirlpool Cleanup Efforts

By Chad Hunter
Southwest Times Record (AR)
January 28, 2015

Meeting with a Whirlpool Corp. representative and environmental consultant Tuesday, Fort Smith leaders posed questions about cleanup efforts at the closed, contaminated plant on Jenny Lind Road.

Whirlpool spokesman Jeff Noel and Mike Ellis, a civil engineer with Environ, met with the Fort Smith Board of Directors to discuss a progress report detailing actions taken in 2014 to address the groundwater and soil contaminated with trichloroethylene, a toxic substance known as TCE.

At-Large Director Kevin Settle said he was concerned about the nearby Fort Smith Boys & Girls Club. At the Whirlpool property’s northeast corner near club property, TCE was discovered in one of nine groundwater samples taken in 2014.

“So my question is, go back to the early ’80s, ’90s, boys and girls were swimming in that pool,” Settle said. “How do we guarantee that nothing happened to those kids back then? I was one of those kids.”

…

For the entire article, see
http://swtimes.com/news/fort-smith-leaders-question-whirlpool-cleanup-efforts

See also