2015 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 12:26:43 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] CTS Asheville (NC) "leaked chemicals near my home"

I was diagnosed with cancer at age 11. A factory leaked chemicals near my home
The Environmental Protection Agency panders to polluters and lacks the political wherewithal to hold them to account

by Gabriel Dunsmith
Guardian (UK)
September 15, 2015

When an MRI of my spine revealed an enlarged thyroid instead of the scoliosis the doctors had feared, they whisked me away for a biopsy. I lay awake as the surgeon stuck a needle into my neck and wiped away the blood. The next day, my mom told me the test result when I got home from school: thyroid cancer. I was eleven years old.

As the surgeons put me under for an operation that would remove my thyroid, I hoped I would still be able to run around outside with my brother, to clamber through the groves and streams that surrounded my home in the mountains of North Carolina.

While I lay on the operating table, an abandoned factory a mile from my house silently seeped toxic chemicals into the creeks and valleys.

Yet no warnings were posted outside the gates. The polluted streams were not fenced off. Like the other neighborhood kids, I had no idea of the toxins lurking in our midst.

…

For the entire column, see
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/15/i-was-diagnosed-with-cancer-at-age-11-a-factory-leaked-chemicals-near-my-home

278-A Hope Street