2015 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 12:50:00 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Whirlpool Offers Fort Smith [Arkansas] Chemical-Cleanup Report"

Whirlpool Offers Fort Smith Chemical-Cleanup Report

By Chad Hunter
Fort Smith Times Record (AR)
October 14, 2015

Fort Smith leaders were updated Tuesday on progress made cleaning Whirlpool’s toxic site as a state-approved remediation plan nears the two-year mark.

“We think we’ve made a lot of progress in the last 24 months,” Whirlpool Corp. spokesman Jeff Noel told the Board of Directors during a study session.

Trichloroethylene, a toxic substance known as TCE, was used at the plant on Jenny Lind Road as a degreasing agent between the late 1960s and early 1980s before it was found to be harmful, according to Whirlpool.

The property has been contaminated since at least 1989 when TCE was discovered at the site, according to Whirlpool’s environmental consulting firm, Environ. It was in 2001 that Whirlpool says it discovered TCE migrated off company property and into a neighborhood to the north.

…

For the entire article, see
http://swtimes.com/news/whirlpool-offers-fort-smith-chemical-cleanup-report

278-A Hope Street