2016 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 08:27:08 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Fwd from U.S. EPA: RCRA Permit Modifications Report

Begin forwarded message:

New EPA Report Highlights the Shift in Hazardous Waste Permitting and Public Participation Focus

EPA is pleased to share with you the “RCRA Permit Modifications Report: Safeguarding the Environment in the Face of Changing Business Needs.”

Because most of the facilities that treat, store, and dispose of hazardous waste have already obtained their initial permits, the majority of hazardous waste permitting activity under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) has shifted from issuing initial permits to permit maintenance. Likewise, the opportunities for public participation at hazardous waste sites has also shifted from involvement with new permit issuance to greater involvement with permit renewals or modifications.

Permit modifications enable improved operational efficiency, economic development, and environmental protection at hazardous waste facilities. And throughout the modification process, effective and meaningful public participation keeps the local community abreast of ongoing changes at the facility and helps inform facility managers, as well as the regulating agency, about public concerns.

Permittees request changes to permit conditions to keep pace with evolving business practices, technology, cleanup decisions, and regulations. Timely permit modifications ensure that these changes maintain protection of human health and the environment while allowing companies to keep pace with changes in the market place and bolster their competitiveness. Additionally, many modifications facilitate cleanup of contaminated soil or groundwater, increase the recycling or reuse of materials, reduce corresponding waste streams, and minimize fossil fuel use and greenhouse gas emissions. On average, states approve over 800 RCRA permit modifications annually. Thus, it is critical that our RCRA permitting programs, both here at EPA and in the states, receive adequate resources to ensure timely and effective response to changes requested by companies.

The public participation aspect of the permit modification process provides an opportunity for informed community involvement and ensures that the regulating agency can consider and address local concerns—especially environmental justice concerns. There are notifications, meetings, comment periods, and hearings specifically for the public to engage companies and regulators in a dialogue. EPA recommends expanded public participation efforts (such as use of social media) beyond the activities required in the regulations. For example, greater outreach may also be warranted when the facility is located in disadvantaged neighborhoods or when the facility is clustered near other industrial facilities and thus may add to cumulative impacts to adjacent communities.

We have information currently available on our website regarding expanded public participation and are also currently updating our RCRA Public Participation Manual, which will provide further guidance. We will be posting the draft updated public participation manual for public review and will provide notice through our mailing lists when it is posted.

This report can be found on our website at http://www.epa.gov/ hwpermitting/permit-modifications-report-safeguarding-environment- face-changing-business-needs