2017 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 07:45:34 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Northern Michigan community tries to stay ahead of massive contaminated plume"

Northern Michigan community tries to stay ahead of massive contaminated plume

By KAYE LAFOND
Michigan Radio
July 18, 2017

When I arrive at Bethany Hawkins' home, the first thing she does is offer me a glass of her well water.
"Our water's always been really good," she says.

But Hawkins’ well could have an expiration date. It’s an estimated 675 feet from the edge of a plume of polluted groundwater.

A toxic legacy

There's an estimated 13 trillion gallons of groundwater laced with TCE, or trichloroethylene,  stretching from the village of Mancelona 6 miles away to the edge of Hawkins’ gated community.

…

The source of the contamination is an orphan site, meaning that the responsible companies, Mt. Clemens Industries and later Wickes Manufacturing, no longer exist and can’t be made to pay for it.

…

For the entire story, see
http://michiganradio.org/post/northern-michigan-community-tries-stay-ahead-massive-contaminated-plume

Executive Director