2017 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 07:58:31 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Cyanide "Contamination that bedeviled [Traverse City, Michigan] Warehouse District development is largely cleaned up"

Tests show cyanide plume fading
Contamination that bedeviled Warehouse District development is largely cleaned up

BY JORDAN TRAVIS
Traverse City Record Eagle (MI)
December 4, 2017

TRAVERSE CITY - A cyanide plume beneath Traverse City's Warehouse District that threatened to seep into Grand Traverse Bay and plagued Hotel Indigo's construction is now barely detectable.

That's according to Environmental Consulting and Technology's preliminary findings, company Principal Scientist Dirk Mammen said. They show that active cyanide levels were undetectable in 16 of 17 monitoring wells near Garland and Hall streets, plus the Open Space and nearby parkland. The 17th well had three parts per billion of active cyanide.

"We still have a bunch of work to do ... but ultimately that's a very positive number, and it's significantly lower than anyone expected, but that's where we're at," he said.

Cyanide levels at the Hotel Indigo site along Grandview Parkway measured at 1,300 parts per billion in summer 2013, as previously reported.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.record-eagle.com/news/local_news/tests-show-cyanide-plume-fading/article_02e5d923-62ae-556c-b1e5-9b49220774c9.html

Executive Director