2018 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2018 23:00:26 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] GE-site TCE and PCE, Pittsfield, Massachusetts

EPA: Contaminated groundwater near Hill 78 poses no threat

By Amanda Drane
Berkshire Eagle (MA)
October 25, 2018

PITTSFIELD - Contaminated groundwater near the east end of East Street doesn't pose a threat because it's not near any occupied buildings, federal officials said this week.

Dean Tagliaferro, the Environmental Protection Agency's project manager for legacy contamination left by General Electric Co., addressed fears about elevated levels found in recent sampling during a Citizens Coordinating Council meeting on Wednesday.

"We're not concerned that there's an unacceptable risk, but we agree that monitoring the data and monitoring the situation is very important," he said after the meeting.

The countywide council meets quarterly to discuss GE contamination in the Berkshires.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.berkshireeagle.com/stories/epa-contaminated-groundwater-near-hill-78-poses-no-threat,554368

Executive Director