2019 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2019 18:36:03 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] GAO: SUPERFUND: EPA Should Take Additional Actions to Manage Risks from Climate Change

SUPERFUND: EPA SHOULD TAKE ADDITIONAL ACTIONS TO MANAGE RISKS FROM CLIMATE CHANGE

GAO-20-73: Published: Oct 18, 2019. Publicly Released: Nov 18, 2019.

Climate change may increase the frequency and intensity of certain natural disasters, which could damage Superfund sites—the nation’s most contaminated hazardous waste sites.

Federal data suggests about 60 percent of Superfund sites overseen by EPA are in areas that may be impacted by wildfires and different types of flooding—natural hazards that may be exacerbated by climate change.

We found that EPA has taken some actions to manage risks at these sites. However, we recommend it provide direction on integrating climate information into site-level decision making to ensure long-term protection of human health and the environment.

…

For highlights, a map, and link to the full report, go to
https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-20-73?utm_campaign=usgao_email&utm_content=monthinreview&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

Executive Director
A project of the Pacific Studies Center
LSiegel@cpeo.org