2019 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 20:14:17 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Work Begins to Turn Providence [Rhode Island] Brownfield Site into Composting Center"

Work Begins to Turn Providence Brownfield Site into Composting Center
The project aims to redevelop a vacant, polluted lot into a composting center, providing soil for community gardens.

by Tim Studebaker
KLNE TV-6 News (Providence, RI)
December 12, 2019

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -  A vacant lot in Providence, where illegal dumping has led to pollution concerns, is getting a makeover thanks to nonprofit Groundwork RI.  Workers are removing trash and cleaning up the land.  Some of those workers, like Chris Barboza, are part of a job training program.

Barboza says, "It changed my life a lot.  You know?  Now, I don't have to worry about this bill being paid or, you know, being late on a bill."

The plan is to clean up that site in the West End, and begin composting there, just like Groundwork RI is already doing in the Federal Hill neighborhood.  They want to be composting by summer.  They'll have high school students bicycle around the neighborhood, picking up food scraps to be composted.  The finished product will be soil that can be used in community gardens, like the one at an affordable housing complex right across the street.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.abc6.com/story/41446271/work-begins-to-turn-providence-brownfield-site-into-composting-center

Executive Director