2020 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 12:11:31 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] GM avoids brownfields in Lordstown, Ohio

GM meets with environmental group on battery plant

by RON SELAK JR.
Warren Tribune Chronicle/Youngstown Vindicator (OH)
February 12, 2020

LORDSTOWN - An environmental group in the Mahoning Valley has met with General Motors regarding the automaker’s proposed battery-cell manufacturing plant, construction of which will harm wetlands.

“We have made people aware there is opposition to just destroying wetlands, wetlands are important here,” said Patricia Dunbar, president and board member of Friends of the Mahoning River. “That is why they reached out, that’s what we’re speculating.”

…

GM considered several sites, some of which were brownfields, but decided against building on a brownfield because studies showed remediation would take many months or years, which isn’t compatible with the aggressive schedule to build the plant and get it making battery-cells.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.vindy.com/news/local-news/2020/02/gm-meets-with-environmental-group-on-battery-plant/

Executive Director