2020 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 12:11:37 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] TCE from former GE-Dresser plant, Alexandria, Louisiana

Residential areas affected by chemical from former GE-Dresser plant

By Jeff Matthews
Alexandria Town Talk (LA)
February 12, 2020

When Sandra Shirah was told there were vapors from a dangerous chemical in her home, her first reaction, understandably, was fear.

"I was scared for my daughter," she said. "I was scared for her eight-year-old stepson. I was scared for me. I know this is way down the list, but I was scared for my puppies. Of course, there's the value of my home. I'm a real estate broker, and my thought was all the equity in my home just went 'poof.'"

Shirah's home on Aurora Drive is in the area affected by a chemical that leeched into the ground from the former GE-Dresser plant nearby.

The plant, located off U.S. Highway 167 in the Tioga area, stopped production in 2016 after operating for more than 50 years.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.thetowntalk.com/story/news/local/2020/02/12/general-electric-dresser-baker-hughes-tioga/4723300002/

Executive Director