2005 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 23 Apr 2005 01:04:29 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Viriginia Beach residents question jets' presence

CCAJN stirs up Hornet's Va. nest

By BILL SANDIFER
Washington Daily News (NC)
April 22, 2005

The atmosphere in and around Virginia Beach has grown even noisier these days. But some of the loudest sounds are coming not from increasing numbers of Super Hornet fighter jets arriving at their new home base but from residents calling on the Navy to send the entire fleet elsewhere.

The organization Citizens Concerned About Jet Noise had floated the idea earlier, but it finally has sent the suggestion to the top. A letter to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld went out last week, and a similar letter was sent Thursday to the Base Realignment and Closure commission.

"There's been a tremendous amount of discussion about it," CCAJN spokesman Hal Levenson told the Daily News Thursday. "We have drawn an enormous amount of interest in this community. Our idea in advancing the proposal was just to do that, was to stimulate public discussion."

Levenson, however, indicated he hopes discussions will produce results.

"Now, what we really want is for the Pentagon and the BRAC to make a serious study of the situation," he said.

http://www.wdnweb.com/articles/2005/04/22/news/news02.txt

-- Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 http://www.cpeo.org