2005 CPEO Installation Reuse Forum Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 19 May 2005 15:48:48 -0000
Reply: cpeo-irf
Subject: [CPEO-IRF] Oceana Naval Air Station (VA) retention debated

BRAC Commissioners Grill Navy Leader on Decision to Spare Oceana

Could Virginia Beach's largest employer be leaving?

WAVY-TC Channel 10 (VA)

When the Department of Defense released its list of proposed base
closings last Friday, Naval Air Station Ocean was not it. And while
local politicians breathed a big sigh of relief, it may have come too
soon.

WAVY News 10 first broke the story that military leaders looked hard at
closing Oceana but could not come up with a workable solution.

Now the independent commission that will put together the final list is
telling the Navy to try again.

At a hearing Tuesday, Navy officials were grilled about their decision
by members of the BRAC commission.

"I was surprised when I saw the recommendations that Oceana is not in
there," James Hill, a member of the BRAC Commission, said during the
hearing. "In terms of encroachment, there's probably no other place that
is more encroached on your air space and your ability to train and do
all those things."

For the entire story, see
http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3363106&nav=23iia1Yu